Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have 1986 Yamaha 6h1I 90 HP (90 HP outboard). Having a

Customer Question

Hi James, I have 1986 Yamaha 6h1I 90 HP (90 HP outboard). Having a weird issue where it starts, runs perfectly, then sits for a week and won't start. If i putz with it for about an hour, wait a few hours or overnight starts up? (crazy). So far, i've taken off the throttle control and dug into the kill switch and everything ok using a VOM... when it does not start there is no spark. (I pull the plugs and nothing seen).
Ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

When it will not start you would need to start by either disconnecting/cutting the white wire from the CDI box. Or, disconnecting the main harness from the outboard and jump starting it. That will tell you if the problem is on the engine, or in the controls/boats wiring. That is where you would need to start.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason, this is Paul... to confirm, i should cut the white wire connecting to the throttle control box or the kill switch...(there's a white and black wire to the kill switch... the white wire came out, so effectively it should not be affecting the starting issue, yes?)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Paul, we do offer phone service in the US only. Are you in the US?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
best number to call is(###) ###-####(Wisconsin)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The service is an extra service not included with your initial deposit. I will send you over the payment information for phone service for you to read. If you would like the call, accept the offer, and I can call you as soon as the offer is accepted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let's work through the computer for now, i just thought it would be eaiser over phone... can you respond to my last response back to you?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You want to disconnect (or cut) the white wire at the CDI box itself on the engine. The other way to do it is to disconnect the extension harness that goes from the boat into the engine. And then just jump start the engine. The reason for doing this is to isolate the engines components from the wiring that runs up to the helm, and this includes the key switch and kill swtich. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me? Did you have any further questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, just went to motor and see the three gray coils that say CDI. there is no white wire there. However; on the engine there is a cover that has about 15 wires going into it. I opened the cover and removed the screw and contact of the white wire... still not starting... am I on the right wire?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

what is the model number on this engine?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Click this link to pull up a picture. #5 is the CDI. does this match what you have?

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1986/90ETLJ/ELECTRIC%20PARTS/parts.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
90 ETLJ 6H 1 L im checking the link you sent... give me a min
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep, that's what i have and I pulled the white wire about 6 from the top on the left (only pure white wire)
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If still no spark then you have either a bad CDI box or bad stator. Do you have a hand held volt/ohm meter, and do you know how to take electrical resistance measurements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep, have one and know how to read resistance ..
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do you see a brown and a blue wire that connect to the CDI box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found them and there's no resistance reading across those two.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No reading at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The meter leads were not clean, yes there is a reading it's 22 Ohms.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It should have read in the 765 to 935 ohms ballpark. If you got nothing, the stator is shot, and what is causing the no spark condition. Installing a new one will get you up and running again.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, very weird... double checked the meter and I'm certain it's showing 22 ohms. (did not have a reading the first time). I thought id try the motor and it started... I put the white wire back on and shut off key then restarted fine... thoughts?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does the CDI or Stator have a moving part that engages and disengages? Aside, if this is similar to the past, i can start and restart the boat all weekend with no issues, then if it sits for a week, wont start again... ? what's your guess here?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Spec is supposed to be 765 ohms to 935 ohms. I can only go on what you tell me. Is your meter any good, do you trust that it is accurate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its a basic meter, and a little bit older.... anything is possible... is it's reading 22ohms would the motor still start if the Stator was bad?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It can

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

And it can definitely be intermittent. The stator is what provides the votlage for the ignition system. If it is borderline on voltage output sometimes it's going to work and sometimes it is not. Spec is 765 to 935, if the stator is not measuring that with a quality meter then it is no doubt bad.

If that is something you are going to question result wise on your end then you would need to invest in a higher quality multimeter.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

But from what you are telling me, it has a confirmed bad stator.

Was there anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
got it... will try with another meter and follow up with you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
looks the same on the other meter... so it's bad... might you have a link to the correct replacement part? thanks for the help,Paul
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sure thing. Click this link - http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1986/90ETLJ/CDI%20MAGNETO/parts.html

Stator is #3

Please let me know if you run into any problems when trying to put through a rating for me.

Thank you and good luck,

Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason... had a chance to read through our conversation and wanted to ask... when reading the resistance should the wires be removed from the CDI box? ( when I measured them today, I was just tapping the meter leads onto the screws while connected to the CDI) I know some resistance readings must be out of circuit.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

All resistance readings, regardless of the actual component, must be done with that component and out of the circuit.

When I had asked if you knew how to take resistance readings and you told me yes.... I thought that would have been something you knew. Does the stator read higher with it disconnected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yep, I was moving too fast yesterday and not thinking it through it...I will re-check... can I just remove those two leads and measure or do i need to remove all connections to the Stator? If all need to be remove all, might you know the colors that are connected to the CDI?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

All you need to do is remove the brown and blue wires from the CDI and measure the resistance between those 2 wires. You know what the specs are so if it's out of spec it's bad. If it is in spec, the CDI is bad.