Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have 2012 Seadoo 130GTI SE and I was getting a low battery

Customer Question

I have 2012 Seadoo 130GTI SE and I was getting a low battery voltage message. I replaced the battery and the message went away for a day, now it comes on when I start up goes away at full-half throttle then comes back when idling. I checked to see if the the battery was being drawn down with a light tester and it is not. Just wondering if I should replace the voltage regulator.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
This indicates that the charging system is not within specs and charging incorrectly at idle, in most cases this will be a problem with the stator internally on the engine (mag cover). It would be a matter of testing ac output from the stator/magneto to see if it or the regulator/mpem-ecm is the problem.
The message went away because the battery was new and was fully charged to 100% + 12.6v, once it looses voltage is when you end up seeing the light or not charging.
Put a voltmeter across terminals on battery, engine at idle you should have around 14v dc, if below say 13.2 or lower then it is not charging, rev rpms to 5000 and see if it then starts charging, most likely it is charging to some extent but is weak meaning it will soon fully fail. Also check ground connections.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.