Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

1998 454mpi won't start sometimes,installed a new dist.

Customer Question

1998 454mpi won't start sometimes,installed a new dist. last week started rite up . customer picked it up ran for 10 minutes then shut off.this was a huricane victim back in 07. iac, o2 sensor, throttle position sensor an coil have all been changed.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has anyone ran into this problem before??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Probably so,no one i know of.It started up several times yesterday evening, this morning won't start. with a noid lite at coil wire if it flashes it will start. we may have to talk on the phone. Master plug and electrical connections have all been removed and checked for corrison.Key switch seems ok but i am going to change it anyway.We are trying to eliminate things one at a time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We changed ignition sw no change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
You stated "noide light at coil" I assume you mean your using it as a test light on the neg pulse side of the coil, please confirm 12v pos on the pos side and then I assume that if the pulse.... the light does not flash it will not produce spark at that time, just to confirm this is what is taking place, correct?
I see the distributor, coil, iac, tps and o2 have all been replaced, the distributor has a pickup coil which communicates with the ignition module, the ignition module provides the pulse to the coil, I have a feeling if you have not already done so that if you replace the ignition module the problem will be resolved. If this has already been replaced with a new quality oem part please let me know.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.