Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 2001 rinker 310 fiesta vee with twin 350 mpi's Both

Customer Question

I have a 2001 rinker 310 fiesta vee with twin 350 mpi's Both start and run great when leaving marina and will run perfect all day unless shut off. Then the starboard motor will not restart, sometimes it will start and I will get a beeping alarm then it will die and not restart, temp and pressure gauges on motor are reading ok, if it starts and while beeper is going off, I give it full throttle, it will backfire afew times but take off and beeping stops, then motor runs fine. Where do I start looking?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The problem seems to be coming from the IAC valve. This controls the fuel / air mixture that the engine needs. It looks like te motor of the IAC is not setting the air / fuel mixture when engine is hot thus not idling. If this fails it will give a 2 beep min alarm. Ideally at this stage you get the engine diagnosed by a diagnostic tool to be 100% sure that the IAC valve is the fault prior to replacing it.

If you need further assistance or have further questions let me know.

Noel

Did you manage to get the engine diagnosed, do you require further assistance?

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran it last night for about an hour, shut off and raised engine cover for about an hour, started both motors and backed away from sandbar then put in forward, started getting a steady beep every few seconds got halfway on plane and hesitated and backfired twice then beep quit and ran fine after that!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also ordered a IAC valve and gasket, will install friday

Ok symptoms seem to be that of he IAC valve. Replace it and let me know.

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Installed new iac valve, did not cure problem, first time out ran for about an hour shut both motors off 20 minutes later that motor wouldnt start, waited 5 minutes and it started like a new one happened the same way saturday?????

did you get the alarm again? If yes then i suggest you get the engine checked using a diagnostic tool as otherwise you will keep on guessing sensor by sensor. The symptoms were those of an IAC valve but it could be other sensors the problem.

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to be fixed

Perfect!! If you require further assistance let me know.

Noel