Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have twin 1986 Yamaha 150's on a boat I bought, the man

Customer Question

I have twin 1986 Yamaha 150's on a boat I bought , the man said they were running and one oil light came on and he cut that motor off and took boat out. now neither engine will start with key. we jumped the starter and they both turned over so we could check compression. he took the wires off the neutral safty switch trying to get them to crank but still no luck. do both engins need to have battery hooked up since both are tied together at switch. where should I start to get these cranking again. the oil pumps were also taken off sub tanks. I just want to here them run before I start fixing oil system.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Both engines do need an independent battery. If 1 battery is shared between engines the charging systems on both engines will burn up.

As for the no start. When you turn the key to run do the gauges come alive? Do you have a voltmeter and do you know how to take basic voltage measurments?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
only a buzzer goes off .no volt meter only 2 tach's . yes I have test meters do I need to have a battery on each motor to be able to crank one
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I don't follow you. What do you mean by "no volt meter" and then "yes I have test meters"?

Do you have a hand held meter, like a fluke or similar, to take voltage measurements with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no volt meter in gauges on boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

OKay but you do have a hand held meter, yes? If so, are you near the boat now and ready to work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay on the back of the keyswitch, check for voltage on the red wire. What do you show there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me get out to the boat , are we going to do one motor at a time? also do I need a battery on each motor now since they are tied togeather on the switch.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

1 motor at a time. To make things simple, get rid of the battery switch and hook 1 engine directly up to 1 battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok just a second
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a battery switch I mean the control unit behind switches
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one motor is hooked to a battery ,I didn't know about the control unit that the switches go through that will shut both motors down if something is wrong
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have I lost you?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Can you get to the keyswitch and check for power on the red wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
let me get back in boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

okay

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 volts
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay hold the key to start. Anything on the brown wire?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Anything?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. Just checking in. Any progress?