Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

2001 xlt1200 last time in water ran fine, but cavitated bad,

Customer Question

2001 xlt1200
last time in water ran fine, but cavitated bad,
Fixed cavition problem (sealed intake on jet drive)
Engine started hard, put some gas in spark plugs would start then
It would idle ok then bog and die, but once started kept idle high it ran great until you went back to idle. Plugs are not wet(flooded) but dry
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

You stated "Last time in the water", exactly how long ago in terms of days, weeks, months, years was the "last time in the water"

This definitely sounds like a carb issue, but could be other fuel delivery problems too.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
previous time 1 week ran fine, then last weekend 2 days ago. wont idle good, starts hard. If it is primed and rpm kept above 200 will run great all day. If you let idle go back to about 1500 it will then after about 20 seconds it dies and only restarts in short burst.. I can pour gas in cylinders and it will start and run
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plugs are dry when it wont start.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
OK, so the ski ran fine one day, and then after sitting just 1 week, it had these symptoms?
Thanks
RSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for clarifying.

If the ski still runs good on the top end, no noticeable decrease in top speed or acceleration, it sounds like you have picked up some debris in a low speed jet. That means the carbs are going to have to be removed and cleaned.

However, on your ski, that is one huge pain to do. The carbs are underneath the exhaust pipe and catalytic converter. It takes an experienced tech about 3 hrs or so to get the carbs off, cleaned and put back on. It can easily take triple that for someone who has never worked on this particular model before.

While going through the carbs and heading for the slow speed jets, obviously you want to scrutinize each component inside the carb just in case there are other items that need attention that could be contributing to the problem now or could create problems in the future. I would pay close attention to the fuel pump side of the carbs as well. It has a large mylar diaphragm that has been known to get perforated from a rough casting in the fuel check valve block and also inspect the check valves themselves to make sure they are not creased.

This would be a really good time to invest in a service manual if you are going to undertake this endeavor. You are going to need extensive details in dis-assembly order and reassembly order plus torque specs and other settings.

Thanks,

RSRBOB

If there are any new developments or you come up with any more questions, feel free to add to this thread and I will get back to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have manual, I will check into carbs. I will advise
Thanks
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Let me know if you have any attachments.

Rsrbob