Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Four Winns 238 Vista 1998 with a 4.3i Volvo Penta

Customer Question

I have a Four Winns 238 Vista 1998 with a 4.3i Volvo Penta petrol engine which when I 1st bought it ran perfectly. Last year I experienced the engine was fine traveling at 4knots but as soon as you put it under load to go up on a plane it won't have it. It dies to almost a stall. I have had several marine mechanics look at it without any conclusions, surely it has to be a fuel starvation problem, please advise a very frustrated boat owner. P.S. Another vista owner at the same marina has exactly the same problem, In anticipation Graham Vince
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Graham, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Are you looking to do any work on this engine yourself? When did the engine last run correctly, and when did this problem start? Also, is the engine injected or carb, if you have the full model number that would be best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'm not mechanical at all, it happened at the beginning of last season, you could hear the engine at even just tick over that it sounded lumpy, it wasn't firing on all cylinders. I've had computers put on it that don't throw up anything wrong. I have had plugs and leads changed I don't know how many times. I had the fuel sender relay replaced, a glass bottomed fuel filter fitted. It's a vortex engine. We took it to Rossiters Marina in Christchurch, Dorset who told us they found the inlet rocker No 4 was loose and rockers incorrectly fitted, they replaced all and reset and changed all the gaskets, this has stopped the lumpy engine but still won't speed up under load
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I understand. Now how is it I can help you, what kinds of questions do you have for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know what you can suggest or can you recommend any good marine engineers in Dorset. I was told by a lot of people this was a full proof engine nothing much goes wrong if you look after it
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The website forbids us from making personal reccomendations. They consider it a conflict of interest. For example, if I just happened to live in Dorset they consider it likely that I would recommend myself, so thats why they do that. What I can do is I can look up your closest Volvo dealer. Would that help? If yes, what is your zip code?