Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I was working on chasing down a wiring problem (the foreword

Customer Question

Hello, I was working on chasing down a wiring problem (the foreword running light was only receiving 4.5 volts). In the process, I found a wire that operates a cabin light that had a bare spot on both the pos and neg, and they may have inadvertently touched (this condition was left by the installer at the manufacture 30 years ago). Now the breaker for the cabin lights is tripped and won't reset. I cut the wire of the cabin light at the point of the bare wire and the breaker is still tripped.
The breaker was operating fine prior to my attempt to fix the running light. Any suggestions as to why the breaker continues to be tripped? Many thanks, Gary
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Gary.My name is Tan.

The only thing that will trip a circuit breaker is a short or over leaded circuit. Now did you reconnect the wires? If you reversed the colors it could be causing the issue. If you cut where you spliced the wires together does it still trip the breaker?