Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a Cruisers Yachts 560 express cruiser with twin Volvo

Customer Question

I have a Cruisers Yachts 560 express cruiser with twin Volvo Penta D12-715s. This year, I've had oil discharge from the port engine exhaust upon ignition. It's not much, but it lays down a slick that marinas, fellow boaters, and my next door neighbor plainly do not appreciate. A local US expert in Volvo said that it's oil, not diesel (so no injector involved (not sure how he can tell the difference, but he's the expert)), and that the cause is likely a stuck ring in one of the pistons. His "fix" is for me to run the engines hard for 40 hours or so to see if the ring will seat itself correctly. That seems like a less-than-satisfactory fix, to be frank, particularly given that oil continues to discharge until the "fix" takes hold. Thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

I find this excuse very hard to swallow. While a stuck ring could cause some oil consumption it is very unlikely you would have liquid oil from the exhaust, possibly smoke, but even that has got to be pretty fierce in a diesel to show up. I would be more suspicious of a leaking oil cooler or possibly a leaking injector (if it is diesel and not oil) but some teardown would need to be done to inspect those items. And BTW, if it is really a stuck ring, the chances of it releasing and sealing again are slim to none.