Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Have a 1997 GTI, single carb with gh speed stumble and

Customer Question

Hi Jason; 'have a 1997 GTI, single carb with high speed stumble and stall. new plugs, fresh fuel,clean fuel filter, hose clamps tight,starts great,idles and low speed fine, does "smoke all the time more than a little" any thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
The smoke depends on a few things such as, if it has been converted to pre mix, then it will always smoke more than it does/did when not pre mixing oil/fuel, if not then it depends on what color the smoke is, given the symptoms it is most likely excess fuel or incomplete combustion. See how it runs with fuel cap off and if it runs fine then you will need to check the vent valve and line if not and no change with fuel cap off then check if it has the gray fuel lines and if it does then you need to start there first. Replace all gray fuel lines with uscg or black rubber fuel hose, clean filter and or replace and then professionally clean and rebuild the carb also replacing the internal filter in it and the cleaning and rebuild of the fuel pump.
Also check compression.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.