Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a Mercruiser 5.0 efi engine from 1998 With a Alpha

Customer Question

Hello
I have a Mercruiser 5.0 efi engine from 1998 With a Alpha One gen 1 drive and also a Alpha thermostat house. The temparature of my exhaust elbows at 3500rpm are 35 degrees and 55 degrees is that normale?
Regards
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Are you reading the temperature with an external thermometer or you have sensors and are reading it from a gauge on the dash?
noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I did this With an IR gun.
Ok then the temp difference is real. Yes they tend to have temperature difference between one side and another but not that much. When was the last time they were replaced? As normally they need to be replaced every 4-5 years if used in salt water. I suggest you open the heating elbow and check for any blockage. Also inspect for any corrosion especially in the gasket area.
Noel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I think this is not the problem because there comes more water out that exhaust pipe (open exhaust).

Ok is more water coming out of the low temp elbow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Out of the high temp elbow.

So the high temp engine there is more water coming out? That is strange, that normally indicates that there is a blockage in a part of the elbow and thus pressurizing the water flow but not cooling enough . Try swapping the elbows and see if the problem moves. If it does then the elbow is the problem.

Noel