Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a remanufactured 2014 merc 357 magnum alpha 4v

Customer Question

i have a remanufactured 2014 merc 357 magnum alpha 4v carburated. at full throttle it makes a noise (clicking). i recorded the noise and several mechanics have told me its the rev limiter. i have tried 3 different prop pitches, with rpms ranging from 4200 to 5200. no matter what rpm, 4200 or 5200, at full throttle it makes this noise. does this sound like the rev limiter to you? is it something i should be concerned about? the mechanics don't seemed too concerned. after paying 8k for this motor, i feel there should not be a noise.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Can you put the recording up on youtube so I can hear it for myself?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi. i'm todd. i don't know how to do that. i'll have to figure it out. i could email it.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Todd, we don't really work through email here, everything we do is directly through the website. Files can be uploaded to the website but they are limited to 5mb in size.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm working on it. how can i let you know when it's done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. heres the link http://youtu.be/vU-vr84Vwuo
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Todd, good morning and sorry for the delay. We all do this on the side and when you had last posted last night I was already off to bed. I watched the video, and I don't hear any clicking.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason, no problem. i know it's hard to hear. it's on the video between 30 and 45 seconds i believe, right after you hear someone talking.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I still can't hear it. I don't think i'm going to be able to help you out with this one, somebody really needs to be in front of the boat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. Thank you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You bet, good luck.

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Todd, I just listened to your video and I'm pretty sure what you are hearing is a slight knock/click as the knock sensor tries to adjust timing. What type of fuel are you using in the boat?