Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a 2013 Yamaha 150 4 stroke that got some water in the

Customer Question

Jeff I have a 2013 Yamaha 150 4 stroke that got some water in the fuel and the water until alarm came on, i emptied the bad fuel all the way from the inside small fikter to the tank including a new filter/water separator. what is the fix to get the water out of the engine?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

How much water got in the engine? If the oil is clean and just some residue in the cylinders then start and run the engine. Run it at idle for at least 30 minutes keeping watch of the temperature. As long as you now are getting good fuel through the engine you should be fine. Did you drain the fuel supply module? There is a fuel pump inside and a drain on the bottom. As long as that is full of good fuel any small amount in the lines will be forced out. the engine may be balky to start at first or run rough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jeff thanks for the reply I only emptied the clear fuel filter that's on the front of the motor that is closest to the boat and then emptied all the bad fuel from there on back where is the drain plug for this fuel supply module is it port or starboard
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

It is a silver tank behind the intake runners. Remove the cowls and the drain screw is on the very bottom.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2006%20and%20Later/LF150TXR/FUEL%20INJECTION%20PUMP%201/parts.html

#7 in the diagram

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thanks
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drained the reservoir unit of all the bad fuel pump completely good fuel through the entire system then started it and ran it for 30 to 40 minutes the motor runs great but the fuel water contamination symbol is still on the tachometer command link unit on the console. Does not have to be reset or is it still have watered fuel in the motor
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Which gauge do you have? Did you try pressing the SET or MODE button for 1 second?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the round command link gauge that has the water in fuel indicator on the tachometer gauge at the top next to the RPM's
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if it worked for you.