Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

1979 OMC 240. Won't turnover. No clicking, no gauges work.

Customer Question

1979 OMC 240. Won't turnover. No clicking, no gauges work. New batteries, alternator tested, onboard charger tested. Fridge comes on. There is power but it's not getting to the starter? Help please.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
If you pull out the keyswitch and test for power on the red wire at the key switch, are you getting power there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had to read at 2000m to get a reading of 002-003
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry I do not understand you. What you are looking for is Voltage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on. Craftsman multimeter nothing would register on 600 200 or 20.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

This is a 12V system so you would set the meter to just 20V.

Do you have good access from the helm where the keyswitch is back to the engine room where the battery is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm testing at the back of the switch
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I understand, no power on the red wire at the key switch, got it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No way to trace that wire
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

What I'm asking is if you have good access. Do you have good enough access to simply run a new wire?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could. How could both helm ignition wires be bad?
The engine was turning over before removing alternator for testing. Upon reinstall of alternator and new batteries, there is nothing.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Before I go any further, I do assume you have all of the grounds connected to the battery, is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The problem is the boat is 37 year old, with 37 year old wiring. A few could have blown. Or you could have a rotten wire at the battery. The question is going to be where is it? Where is the blown fuse, or the rotten wiring? On a 37 year old boat it could be anywhere. In my experience you can spend hours looking for it, and might never find it. Or you can spend an hour or two, or more or less, and simply run a new wire right to the battery, stick an inline fuse on it right there, and it is gauranteed to work. And if the fuse ever blows in the future at least you know where it is. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let's forget the ignition wire.
What else could be the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Again it would come down to a blown fuse or rotten wire. If you look at your starter solenoid. Originally there are 2 large gauge wires with fuses inline on them. Have you located these fuses yet, and checked them?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?