Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a 1980 140 evinrude

Customer Question

I have a 1980 140 evinrude
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I think part of your question got cut off. How is it I can help you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm mike
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike, I'm going to decline the phone call for now until I know what kind of issue you are having. I don't want to call you just to say I can't help you. That being said, whats up, what kind of issue are you having?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The evinrude. I'm trying to figure out with lines are for the primer solonoid and witch ones are recirculating lines. There are 4 nipples in the by pass cover. There are no nipples on carbs for primer solonoid ose
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just hit the call number by accident. Sorry
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I gotcha. You need a hose diagram for that engine. I don't own the manual for that one so I don't have it. I will opt out, if one of the other guys has it they will jump in.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know this is critcal , the other line oils the màin bearing, thanks.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Lets see if I can explain this. Under the top cover on the intake are two fittings the ones under the top carb go to the center main bearings. The two under the bottom carb the top one goes to the #1 bypass cover, top starboard side. The bottom goes to the #2 top port bypass cover.

There should be a very small fitting in the center of the carbs where the carbs attach to the intake, on the intake. It is by itself. One for each carb.

By the way from your model number you have a 1982 motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not by marine engineer, 1979. There is no them above carbs on manifold or carb, but yes under carb there are 4 check valves that go one way , out with oil. There are 4 nipples on each side of engine on by pass cover. No nipples
Es above carb. I love a v6 evinrude 86 and there is nipples on carb for solonoid. I have heard two go to oil and2 go to solonoid on the bypass covers. Which ones , that's my question, not being told there are nipples above carb, I have that manual. It's wrong. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the auto fill crap
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it was that easy I wouldn't be asking. ;)
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry it is a 1980, I mis counted the model number.

OK found my hose routing for that engine. Hold on for a couple minutes, I will try and scan and attach the diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it go to carbs? If so. It's not my engine
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

No they go to the bypass covers

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Hmmm
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

This should bring up a PDF for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't open it. :(
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have adobe acrobat to open pdf files?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you text it to me. Hmmm will that work. I think adoby
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Can't text it. Are you on a computer or smart phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm downloading adoby acabat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tablet. Verizon not sure what it has. Almost done
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

OK it is a free download, then try the link and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice try man. I have the same one. The primer solonoid goes to the carbs. I have 4 nipples on each side of the engine for a total of 8 on the engine just at the bypass covers. And for underneath the carburetors nothing on top of the carburetors.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

OK I know which motor you have They only did that for maybe one year then changed the hoses.

On the bypass covers are both of the fittings just small nipples are is one a larger fitting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure. I don't have the engine with me. But go on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would have to be two biger ones on top and bottom. Now which is oil and gas
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

From the primer the hose goes to a T fitting then two hoses to each side. One each for each bypass cover. Then each primer hose went to a small fitting. The recirculation hoses went to a check valve fitting, I'm sure on the intake and believe it is on the bypass cover as well.

The recirculation hoses went to the same fittings as in the diagram I attached. So the primer would be the other one.

They are not oil or fuel but a mix. The recirculation system is recirculating unused fuel/oil mix.

You also had a nipple from the intake near the bottom to the air silencer to recirculate fuel that got into the air box.

One of the few service manuals I can't find is my 1980.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is two nipples on each by pass cover. Is it the top two on each bypass or bottom
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

The recirculation should be the same as the diagram. The primer would be the other one. Let me look at some things at the shop tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Cool, I'll have the motor with me tomorrow also. I'll be putting it back on the lower unit. I just rebuilt it and the water jacket had leaks. So the Welder was called.
Thanks
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Great

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any luck?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Nothing past what I told you so far. I'm still looking. They only made the engine like yours for one year. I haven't given up yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to try this. I found it today , if I can get it on here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think t1 and bottom 1 are the primer
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Saw that yesterday but not sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Me neither.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sure I have my 1980 service manual just need to find it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Cool
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Have u been paid for this.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Well I'm still not finished with you yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. How much is this.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

You have to rate me first, I'll be glad to activate the link. You can rate any time you are satisfied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey I see you guys got paid and I haven't got an awsers, that's not right. I have been waiting
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

I had to go find a 1980 and then make a diagram of the hoses. This is what was on the engine, a little crude but it should show where they go both the primer and the bypass. The circles are the intakes for the carbs. #1 is the top starboard side of the engine. Primer is out of position for simplicity. There is a T in the line off each primer nipple from the primer. Not shown is the line to the primer from the fuel supply. They only did it this way one year as far as I can determine.

This should get you going. As a note we are not paid until rated, so nothing has gone through yet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the primer hose goes on the top on throttle and on the bottom on the other side
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

That is correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just cerious, what would happen if one side was backwards?
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

I don't think anything. They both end up going to the same place, the cylinder to be burned. They aren't the same as recirculation hoses that go to the crankshaft bearings.