Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 87 140 hp merc i/o. Am getting a clunking noise

Customer Question

I have a 87 140 hp merc i/o. Am getting a clunking noise when i turn steering wheel right or left. checked u-joints and greased and they are in good shape. am thinking it may be the flywheel hitting debris plate. could mtr mts cause this? Mike
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike, my name is ***** ***** I would be helping you today.

To be honest ujoints is typically what it is. But if the gimbal ring is bad that would cause it to clunk as well. Are you near the boat now to check something?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason, am at work and boat is home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
has a new gimbeo bearing
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

There normally is only 2 things that will "clunk" back there. The first is the ujoints and the 2nd is the gimbal ring. What you want to do is have a helper hold the steering wheel tight, and you want to go and try to move the sterndrive side to side. You are allowed a little bit of slop, about 1 inch off of center. But any more than that is to much and indicates a worn out gimbal ring. Click this link below to pull up a video, this one here would have to much slop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRVqNnr9gnA

If that looks good. And If you brought the boat to me (and the gimbal ring looked good to me) I would go ahead and replace the ujoints. They can feed "tight" by hand and appear to be good, but trying to wiggle something by hand and putting 140 horsepower at a few thousand rpms through it are 2 different things. So if the gimbal ends up looking good and the steering is tight, replace the ujoints.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello, just checking in. I see that no rating has been put through yet so I wanted to make sure I got all of your questions answered. If there was anything else on the issue feel free to ask.
Thank you,
Jason