Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Have a 1998 gti, no beep but runs at a slow speed? Sure,

Customer Question

Hi, have a 1998 gti, no beep but runs at a slow speed? Sure, when the key is pluged on there I no beep it starts begins to take off then cuts back to about 20 mph?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
There are a few things here that could be happening, an 1998 is pre learner key and thus no slow mode based on key, it could however be an overheat (of which unknown due to beeper not functioning, low charging system voltage/system not charging - check on pwc with engine running at idle battery voltage should be near 14v dc, if say below 13v then it is not charging or not correctly, or if everything is fine with exception rpms high speed low, otherwise responds exact as it should high rpms but speed is low, this would indicate cavitation from the pump, there are multiple things that can cause this but the most common is impeller and wear ring and the gap between and checking for damage to both.
To tell of an overheat check gauges and check with testing if beeper bad then replacing it. You can also use an IR temp gun to check actual temp if overheating.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.