Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

Seadoo 4 tec 2004 lost power to 12 mph and won't go over

Customer Question

Seadoo 4 tec 2004 lost power to 12 mph and won't go over that speed when u take off rpm rev all the way up it fills like it may take off but it won't
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
When the engine will rev full rpms and the ONLY problem is lack of speed/bite/hole shot, this indicates cavitation, the most common cause of this is impeller and wear ring damage - check for gouges, cracks, bent, etc to wear ring and impeller, check pump housing not cracked. This happens when either the pump sucks air or pushes water past impeller due to issues such as above (think of a fan that perfectly fits in a cylinder, not making contact with any of the walls but is so close almost nothing would fit between and thus anything in the impeller sucks and pushes out, now think of that fan being smaller for any reason and what can bypass around it. This can also be from something blocking the intake grate not allowing enough water into the pump. Finally there is one other thing that can happen, driveshaft splines twisted or gone, this usually requires removing the driveshaft to find this problem which requires pulling the pump.
Not sure which model you have but here is an 2004 gtx 4-tec parts diagram:
http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=seadoopwc&a=207&b=12&c=0&d=-PROPULSION-SYSTEM---EXTERNAL
http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=seadoopwc&a=207&b=11&c=0&d=-PROPULSION-SYSTEM---INTERNAL
Those are the most common problems that I have listed. One thing that can lead to these problems is sucking up sand, dirt, rocks, rope, etc.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.