Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1997 200 hp it would not start 3 cylinders not

Customer Question

I have a 1997 200 hp Johnson it would not start 3 cylinders not firing changed the shift switch changed power pack now the other side 3 cylinders are not firing
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Which side wasn't firing?

You have two sets of green/blue/purple/white leads from the timer base to the powerpack. You may have gotten them reversed when you changed the pack out. If so then the firing would change from one side to the other. If this is the case then the timer base is probably bad, could be the connector. The timer base tells the powerpack when to fire and is under the flywheel. Typically the loss of one bank of cylinders is a pack problem. was this a new pack you tried?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new power pack and you could not reverse the wire they would not reach
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also cylinders 2,4,6 would not fire before i changed the power pack now 1,3,5 will not fire
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a peak reading voltmeter, DVA? How about a multimeter capable of registering resistance, ohms? If so measure on stators forward connector 1/3/5 cylinders from terminals a to b. then check the rear connector 2/4/6 a to b. You should read about 850 ohms. These are the brown two wire connectors.

To test the powerpack we need the DVA reading.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're would get a peak meter I cannot find one
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Did you do a resistance test, any inexpensive meter can do it. If one of the charge coils on the stator is bad it will usually show with this test and we may not need a DVA, which can get expensive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tested the charge coil using the brown wires coming off coil and tested the orange and orange black all tested good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can tell you are going through a repair manual I have one of those do you have anything else
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

When we test the ignition we use a spark tester, timing light, ohm meter and peak reading voltmeter. With your limited tools about all we can do is swap parts or resistance tests. We really need to do voltage.

Most of the time resistance tests will show a bad coil. However it can't tell us anything about the pack as there are no test procedures other than voltage, which you don't have the meter for. So if the timer base and stator read correctly then the problem is probably in the power pack. The major cause of powerpack failure other than age is bad grounds. Are all your grounds connected?

I'm not sure what you want me to do? All of the necessary tests are in the service manual.