Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

2002 / 250 ox66 salt water rebuilt crank it and only 2

Customer Question

2002 / 250 ox66 salt water rebuilt crank it and only 2 cylinders are working. all six have spark. rebuilder tells me that's normal as I accelerate the others will kick in,motor sounds bad . I started motor and pulled each plug only two bogged down the other four didn't phased the motor
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

No, you should have at least 4 working, occasionally they will turn 1 or 2 off but 4 is excessive. Did you do the power drop test in gear in the water or just idling on the hose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At idle only
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to see what it would do in gear in the water, which is a more valid check. I do know that they kill spark to cylinders at idle, mostly in neutral, and I believe the ECU will also shut down injectors. And the motor will never sound good with no backpressure (on the hose).