Michael
Michael, Master Mechanic
Experience:  Over 25 years experience working on everything from PWC's to Mega Yachts
6854667

I have a 2007 sea ray 40 sundancer. The hatch lift stopped

Customer Question

I have a 2007 sea ray 40 sundancer. The hatch lift stopped working when I toggle the switch on the dash. There is voltage at the breaker...could it be the relay?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

With most hatch lifts they don't use a relay, simply power to the switch and then out of the switch to the lift. If you remove the wires from the switch and jump them to a battery will the hatch come up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried that...but mine does have a relay
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Does the relay click when you hit the switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I don't have a diagram of this system so I am going to have to opt out. Good luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Mike,

I don't have a diagram for this either but I am familiar with Sea Rays and how this system works.. Can you get access to the lift motor/relay in the engine bay. There should be an access port under the settee near the helm. Sometimes you can access it through the generator service hatch as well.

Jason was on the right track here and what you need to determine is if the relay is getting power to it. If you can access it and check if there is voltage going into the relay and it is not clicking, then you have a bad relay.... You can bypass the relay and jump power straight to the lift motor to raise the hatch so it is easier to work on. Also, there is a release pin on the top of the lift ram that you can pull so that you can manually lift the hatch, but be warned... That hatch is weighs roughly 400+ pounds and takes several people to lift safely.

Let's start by trying to get power though to the lift motor and take it form there. Get back to me with what you find and we'll take it from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fortunately, the relay is under the dash...easy to get to. Looks like that's the problem, but I won't be back to the boat till Monday, and the relay is obsolete, so I'm searching for a substitute. The hatch has 2 actuators...it'll take at least 3 people to lift. The worst thing to get to is the fuse which is down in the bilge. I have the circuit drawings on the boat and can email them to you Monday if necessary.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

not necessary, I know which version you are dealing with. If you can provide me with your boat's HIN # ***** can help you source the relay if necessary. But first, check and see if you are getting power out of the relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'll do both Monday morning and get back to you. The numbers on the obsolete relay are: Tyco VF4-41F11-S01 12VDC 40A.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a pic
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Right.... these relays are only obsolete through Sea Ray.... They are commonly used on lots of other applications. Here is a link for one for sale on ebay... You can find lots of them there.
Remember to check the power out of it while you are activating the switch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYCO-VF4-11F11-12vdc-40-amp-SPST-Relay-4-pole-/171650160385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f7259701&vxp=mtr
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Definitely have power to the relay...no click when I hit the switch. I did not jumper because I'm pretty sure the relay is bad. I'll pick a new one up, replace it and get back to you.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Ok, this thread will stay open as long as you check in every day or two.

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Hi, were you able to get the relays and install them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The relay should show up today. hopefully I'll have time this weekend to install it.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Ok, please let me know what happens so I can help you if you need my assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I had some time today to run this down. The relay checked out ok...so I was wrong about that. I can jumper the hot wires and the hatch opens and closes normally...now, back to the relay...the ground wire (black with a yellow stripe) is not grounded...which is why the relay wasn't firing. Looking at the schematic, that ground wire goes to a "hatch lift interlock switch" which must be bad or out of position. I didn't have enough time to troubleshoot that today, so I'll get to it tomorrow. Do you know where that interlock switch would be located?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
I did some research on your boat... some of the hatch lifts use that interlock switch and some don't. Chances are that you boat does not which is why the black/yellow wire is not connected to anything. I could not find a schematic that shows the interlock switch on an 07 400DA. You can try grounding the wire though and see if it restores power to the lift.
I would suggest that you call Sea Ray int he morning and give them your HIN and they can tell you if your boat was equipped with the interlock switch.
Here is Sea Ray's customer service number.. follow the prompts to get to the Florida location as this is where your boat was built.
I hope this helps, let me know and I will continue to help if necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The black/yellow wire has to be connected to something, it's necessary to get the relay to work...I'm assuming that there is a switch...we'll see....more to come...
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
sorry, I forgot to post Sea Ray's customer service number for you....
(###) ###-#### ***** the prompts to get you to the Florida plant and give them your HIN... they are very helpful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Called Sea Ray...very helpful...it is a magnetic switch located on the transom door/port side wall. It appears to be bad, I tried to make the switch with a magnet, and it does not work. So I'm ordering the part...we'll see
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
That sounds encouraging... they are always helpful