Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1998 Sea Ray Sundancer 290 with twin Mercruiser

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Sea Ray Sundancer 290 with twin Mercruiser 5.7's EFI. I have been chasing a problem for several weekends and have not found the problem. Port engine is the problem. It cranks and runs fine but when you shut it down and go to crank it back up it will fire and shut right back down. The only way to get it going is to put it in neutral, fire it up and quickly work the throttle rapidly up and down. Sometimes it cuts right back off and you continue with rapid movement of throttle. You continue and then it will catch and rev up and then you are ok. Runs, drives and idles good till you shut off and sit for a while and then it repeats process. I have swapped 4 different components between engines hoping to find the issue. Throttle position sensor, coil, and 2 others that are attached to the intake throttle body area. I have not swapped the ECM or the fuel pumps. Can you help?
Also, I am not at the boat and not sure what weekend that I can get back to it so I need to know that the discussion can stay open until resolved. Thanks!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What you would need to start with is hooking up a fuel pressure gauge to the engine and then seeing if fuel pressure holds or if it is leaking down when you shut the engine off. Is that something you can do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't know if I have a fuel pressure gauge but can get one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is Johnny
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Johnny.

Thats where you would need to start. Let me know if it holds fuel pressure or if it does drop. It should not drop by more than 2 psi in 10 minutes. So what you want to do is hook up the fuel pressure gauge. Do whatever you need to do to duplicate the problem, shut it off. And then watch the fuel pressure gauge.