Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1979 Craft Catalina 29' with a single engine

Customer Question

I have a 1979 Chris Craft Catalina 29' with a single engine inboard. It is a MarinePower 350. Chris Craft did some wierd thigs back then. I believe it is a reverse rotation engine, with the starter coming in from the backside of the bellhousing (it is a clockwise starter) and the cam driven by a gear from the crank (no chain). My question is can I use a standard camshaft? I assume since it is a gear driven cam, that is is rotating the same direction as a normal engine.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The camshaft is a standard camshaft they don't make a different cam. You are correct on your gear is reverse rotation engine . Standard rotation engine uses the same cam with a chain.

Post back if you need further assistance.

Thank you.....Tan