Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1995 4 winns boat with a 5.8 liter ford engine, OMC

Customer Question

I have a 1995 4 winns boat with a 5.8 liter ford engine, OMC out drive. I keep burning up the belt on the generator. This has happened multiple times. I was told it is a problem with the OMC stern drive causing the belts to seize. i was also told this was a common problem and that a recall with a replacement part was authorized. I am assuming the previous owner failed to get the replacement part. Name of the part, if accurate statement and possibility of obtaining one.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

I have never heard of this ever.

Usually what causes this issue is rusty pulleys and belt alignment. Does the alternator vibrate? Is the alternator charging ok?

Put the belt on clean pulleys no rust then with a straight edge look at the belt from the side do all the pulleys line up?

Does the engine run Ok do you have any issues with the engine shift or driving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the alternator is charging. I took it to a place that specializes in alternators and it is working fine. Always showing above 13 amps. The pulleys are not rusted and the alignment seems correct. I have already done all the things you are suggesting.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Seems isn't very sure . Did you put a straight edge on the pulleys to see that they are all aligned?

Does the alternator vibrate real bad when engine is running?

I don't see how the drive at the back of the boat can have anything to do with the belt on the front of the engine. Who told you the drive is causing this issue?