Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

1997 YAMAHA GP1200 WAVERUNNER. HOW DO I TELL IF IT IS

Customer Question

1997 YAMAHA GP1200 WAVERUNNER. HOW DO I TELL IF IT IS OVERHEATING. IF YOU RIDE REAL HARD AND FAST FOR 15 MINS IT WILL GO IN FAILSAFE AND DROP TO ABOUT 1500 RPMS. IF RIDDEN EASY THIS DOESNT HAPPEN. WHEN IT DOES HAPPEN I CAN CUT SKI OFF AND RESTART AND WILL RUN PERFECT UNTIL IT HAPPENS AGAIN. RECENT NEW CDI BOX AND TEMP SENSOR.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Hello and good afternoon,
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
First indication is a problem and excessive heat in the hull, next is an actual problem, next would be a warning alarm/light, then comes testing, best done with an IR temperature gun which will allow you to check at various points for actual high temps which answers your question of "HOW DO I TELL IF IT IS OVERHEATING".
Another could be possible lack of water flow exiting the exhaust compared to the normal amount. In some cases certain types of over heats will only happen in warmer waters and in cooler do not have the problem, generally from a restriction such as corrosion build up in the cylinders/head and exhaust.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where should I check with IR temp gun and what would the normal temps be? Could this be a gauge problem and how can that be checked?
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Using an IR temp gun you just check various areas such as the head, cylinders, exhaust, hoses, etc, you will know by the reading if too hot.
The water temp impacts the cooling temp and thus no per say set temp, but you will know if you find a section/spot much hotter than normal readings (non overheating temps). Another thing is water coming out should be hot to warm but not hot enough to burn you, water that hot usually indicates an actual overheat.
An overheat should be followed by an light, also check with engine running that battery voltage is around 14v dc and not say below 13.
Also check compression and not running lean, running lean will cause it to run hot.
Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will check these things and let you know what I find.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Will await your reply if you need additional help.
Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know where to check for the temperatures.I messed with it all weekend. I cant ride the ski to get it hot in the waterway with no seat for engine access to check it with the IR temp gun. And, as we spoke about, it doesnt get hot on the hose. Sorry, this is no help to me.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
You would ride it around with the seat on and as soon as the problem occurs you can remove the seat and check various areas with the ir temp gun.
Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very unsatisfied
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
I guess I am a little confused so if you can please help me understand better what it is that you need?
Your question was related on how to check temps/overheating which I explained how to do.
Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in the intercoastal waterway with a jet ski in overheat failsafe and expected to pull the seat off to check temps. As I stated, very unsatisfied with the last response.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I with all due respect really do not know anything further to offer, you asked how to check it overheating which means you would be checking temperature, to which I explained the only way that you can without dealer diagnostic tool/software, however now your saying your unhappy with my info as you cannot test it in the intercoastal water way to which I never stated for you to check it there. You would drive out of the way of other vessels and check it, without doing either of the above that I mentioned then there is no way that you can check for overheating or temps and you will then need to instead take it to a professional which will do the tests I explained. Please understand, how can you check for overheating without checking temps? That is what I am getting at and thus why you would need to preform the tests I mentioned or have dealer diagnostic tool.

Thanks,

Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Again just in case I was not clear or misunderstood something, your question was regarding overheating and how to check over heating to which my replies were aimed at the two options, one would be using a tool to actually check temps at various areas such as a ir temp gun (which is used by a professional to confirm overheating or any temps for that matter) or diagnostic software.

Please let me know if I can assist you in any other way/you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Joe