Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Engine shouts down at 4500rpms mercury

Customer Question

engine shouts down at 4500rpms mercury(###) ###-####
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Is this a carbureted engine or EFI? Can I get the serial number on it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
efi serial ?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the engine is starving for fuel, are you able to check for fuel pressure while underway?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, it looks like you read my reply and logged off. Did you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think it would be a fuel pump? not sure how to check pressure underway. where would I find the id number on the motor
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The ID tag is always on the clamp bracket, starboard side Sometimes they also stick it on the flywheel cover

It definitely sounds like it's running out of fuel, and a bad pump would do that. But let me get the serial number and I can get you pictures of what needs to be tested, and you can take it from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason the id number might be AA1-5183-0-0 OR 825832 DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JASON COULD YOU ALSO SEND ME A PICTURE OF A FUEL PUMP ON MY MERCURY 225 AND IT'S LOCATION ON THE ENGINE
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately neither of those numbers are it. The format of the serial number is ***** number, 1 letter, 6 more numbers. For example, 0A123456, 1B654321 etc etc.
If the number is ***** on the clamp bracket. Check on the flywheel cover, it might also be there.
I can send you any pictures you need, but I have to know what you have first. And the serial number is ***** only way for me to know what you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I"ll keep looking
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Okay.
If you absolutely can not find it take a bunch of pictures of the engine with the cover off so I can see everything, and I can identify the components that way as well.