Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Thanks response! Also looking at a 2010 Key West 2020DC with

Customer Question

Thanks for your response! Also looking at a 2010 Key West 2020DC with a 2011 BF150 Honda. What is your opinion on the reliability of the Honda and your feeling on the Key West as it would be used for lake sports and fishing along with salt water island
trips.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

I really like the boats, I work on them all the time as they are made here locally. Now the engine, not so much. I really am not a fan of Honda. I've seen too many problems with them. Parts are high and service availability is spotty in many areas. Some of their engineering in the past was very questionable. One of their best selling larger motors the 130 was an abortion from day one. Bad blocks, bad heads, main relays melting, bad lower seals and I can go on. The 150 I haven't seen any major problems but we also don't see many these days.

What I would recommend is the 4 stroke Yamaha, good motor or any in the 150 Mercury line up. I see little problems with them. Parts availability is good and plenty of service centers and good engineering. Keep in mind the above is only my opinion and reflects what I see in my shop which is still an active shop.

Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks