Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2003 115 4 stroke sat years with about 30 gallons

Customer Question

I have a 2003 115 4 stroke sat for 3 years with about 30 gallons of fuel added staybil to it in fall of each year.Also ran it on muffs in spring. This year i went to lake from storage after adding 15 gallons fresh fuel and staybil injector cleaner.It started ok but would not accelerate up on plane,could not get it to run over 10 mph. When trying to run up over that, rpms and speed was not there.fuel came out of tank green as mt.dew. Changed plugs and fuel filter,added fresh 15 gals 93 octane fuel and small bottle of lucas oil injector cleaner, started and idled ok but when accelorated up easy it would die,tried to hold at 1500 to 2000 rpms it would jump to 5-6000 for a sec. than drop back down( this is on muffs in driveway). There is 215 hrs run on this motor all fresh water.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Just so I follow you. You have 15 gallons of new gas added to 30 gallons of 3 year old gas (for a total of 45 gallons) is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no i drain old fuel first as much as possible
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello are you there
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Where you would want to start here is by getting a portable tank, filling that up with fresh fuel, and running the negine off of that and see if the engine runs better. If it doesn't, step 2 is changing all of the fuel filters on the engine, including the one inside of the vapor tank. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this motor is on a 20' crestliner with a 60 gal. fuel tank,do not know what u mean by vapor tank
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

What is the serial number on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not available at this time i beleive it was the first year for the 115,is it important to go on at this time I'm trying to prevent taking it to a shop if i can and is it possible it is injectors
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The next question was going to be if it was injected or not, and that is why I wanted the serial. The vapor tank is on the engine, it is where the high pressure pump, and high pressure fuel filter is located.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I actually have to run and go meet a customer on the water, I will be back in a few hours if you can wait. If you can't wait you can "re-list" the question and if anybody else is around they will pick it up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is EFI thks for your time I'll try to get a portable tank to try
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what happens when you run it on the portable tank, and we can take it from there. Do you think you can do this later today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure but will try,is it ok to use 93 octane to do this or do i use lower
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

93 would be fine, as long as it's fresh new gas 87 on up will work.