Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 2003 mercury 4 stroke took off carbs cleaned new

Customer Question

I have a 2003 mercury 4 stroke took off carbs cleaned new fuel stuff including pick up don't run full throttled dead throttle half way up till jets kick in then dies
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Hello and good morning,
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Are you running from a built in tank or a portable tank? have you tried running from another fuel tank as a test?
During the problem and if you let it stall, is the fuel filter full, empty or not fully full? And if it stalls is it harder to start again vs not stalling?
Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an internal tank under the seat of a 14 foot Boston Whaler I have removed the tank to fill the pickup to find it totally clogged with varnish I cleaned everything out removing water filter in it fight it up in the same thing I'm going to take out the carburetors next and adjust them and clean them and see what happens I'm wondering with you which is for and how does that work I can understand some things and I have to get there today to take the cobs out and clean them and they'll go from there but I will change the fuel filter and everything
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Does the primer bulb get hard or stay soft?
Does it go soft during the problem? If you pump it during the problem does the problem get better or worse?
You stated you cleaned the carbs in your original question, how did you clean and did you also rebuild them?
Thanks,
Joe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I took the cops out of riginally I totally rebuilt them I'm going to take them off again today I'm going to rebuild and I'm going to trace my system back to make sure the fuel system is good the fuel pump was replaced last year and it's just something that's annoying me
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
You stated fuel pump was replaced last year, however, this was before this problem, correct? If so and based on the varnish issue then it needs to be most likely rebuilt/replaced again.
In terms of the carbs I am not sure if or how you cleaned them such as what I do is manually dip cleaning or ultrasonic bath and then hot water rinse, air hose gun all passages and rinse again, air gun dry again, then follow with spray can carb cleaner or dip again depending on how bad and then finial air gun dry, I then work in a "clean" area on a white lint free towel and rebuild with a complete new (oem if available, aftermarket if not but still only quality kits) rebuilt kit.
You may also want to remove a section of black hose and replace for clear and thus you can see if air issues or starving for fuel at any point.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been extremely busy and had not the chance to work on the engine I cannot rait you because I haven't done nothing yet
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
If and when you have any additional questions please let me know.
Thanks,
Joe