Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 1996 speedster. The port engine model 717 is new

Customer Question

I have a 1996 speedster. The port engine model 717 is new and carbs rebuilt. It ran great for the first 3 hours of use. Was running great then died like running out of gas. It has gas and good spark on both plugs. It tries to start and runs for a few seconds then dies. If I take the plugs out right away they are wet with gas. Any suggestions? Everything is new? Ive cleaned and changed plugs 10 times. Each time gets a little better but Im afraid that when I do get it running the problem may happen again. Help?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Start by checking compression, next check spark and what I mean by this is that it is blue, if not then take plug boots off and trim wires back a 1/4" and crimp back together and try again.
Also, did you break in the new engine correctly? If not that could be part of the problem, compression test will help here as well to learn more.
The other problem could be actually too much fuel such as carb flooding the engine and carb needing to be cleaned and rebuilt.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.