Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 1961 Craft Sea Skiff and have to remove the

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 1961 Chris Craft Sea Skiff and have to remove the steering mechanisms and cable
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
There will be a release on the helm unit, this will be a pin you push/pull or a set screw (bolt) that locks the cable into place via a groove in it, release this and then turn the wheel and in one direction if you keep turning it will spit the cable out of the helm, from here remove the steering wheel via center bolt in the front hub of the wheel and then you can unbolt and remove the helm unit. As for the cable then go to the end and disconnect it from your linkage/motor and remove the cable, for an outboard it is a nut/collar you remove and know that sometimes the cable is stuck in the tilt tube (again on an outboard) and sometimes needs to be beat out and or heated to remove, you will also have mounting points in the hull (sometimes only zip ties or runner mounts) once cable is out measure it and order a new pair as a "kit" in the correct measured length. For non-outboard being a i/o or inboard engine configuration you will simply disconnect it from the steering unit. It's been awhile since I worked on one this old, so please let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.