MarineService8
MarineService8, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Mercury Outboard and Mercury Mercruiser Mechanic experience with Johnson, Evinrude, OMC, Yamaha, and Honda
16881220

I am having trouble with my alpha one gen one sterndrive! I

Customer Question

Hi jason, I am having trouble with my alpha one gen one sterndrive! I removed it to replace the impeller! When installing back together the intermediate shift shaft lines up but when closing the stern the final cm it will then not shift into reverse, very stiff on the control, drop the unit apart by a cm and it works fine! Have installed in forward and can shift through all gears when using pliers on shift shaft!
Category: Boat
Expert:  MarineService8 replied 1 year ago.

You are missing the washer that goes on the shift shaft of the lower. Part number 29395 number 52 in the attached diagram

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that is on there, see attached
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please can you assist further?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to assist???
Sorry for the wait have had no internet connection. Can you shift the drive manually if you take the shift cable off the shift bracket? It may be out of adjustment. The cable going to the drive should be adjusted 6" from the middle of the back hole to the middle of the front hole as a starting point
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back to me! When removing the lower housing we never removed the upper housing! We have discovered that whoever had the boat previously had put the shift shaft in the wrong way and so when removing the housing the shift shaft lifted right out as the pin was down the bottom! When we shift the control without the lower housing you can see that the intermediate shift shaft is turning correctly 3 turns! Can I ask if the cables could still be an issue after knowing this?
shift cable adjustment could still be an issue...... You may have too much foward throw and now enough reverse.