Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

Mercruiser 5.0 mpi. I'm getting a double beep as I cut the

Customer Question

Mercruiser 5.0 mpi. I'm getting a double beep as I cut the engine back to idle. Then the engine died and I couldn't restart. Put in a new battery and tried again. Wouldn't start unless I put the throttle down. As I was idling with the throttle down the double beep kept going every couple of minutes. If I put it back to idle it died.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. From what you are describing it looks like the problem is due to a defective IAC valve. This will not adjust the idle air / fuel mixture and that is why it is dying at low RPM. But ideally before replacing the sensor you connect it to a diagnostic tool so that you are 100% sure that the problem is that. If you require further assistance let me know.

Noel