Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

My captain's call doesn't work when I engage cockpit button.

Customer Question

My captain's call doesn't work when I engage cockpit button. Not sure why
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
The captain's call is nothing more than an electronic valve/butterfly within the exhaust driven by an actuator that diverts between thru-hull or drive for aggressive or mild sound and or performance. The system works via a switch that needs power, confirm switch has power in and out when being pressed and then confirm power and ground at each actuator, if you do not have one or the other then you need to trace the wires back until you do and make the repair (remembering to check fuses and breakers of which they may have been telling you about the "red" breaker on the engine), if getting both good power and ground during switch operation this would mean you need to remove the actuator and test, if getting power and ground (again only while using the switch) and the actuator does not work then it needs replaced, if it does work but not when on the pipe then you need to remove them and check for build up and damage that would prevent operation of the butterfly. In the end since there are two and I am guessing neither are working, this is usually going to be a lack of power/ground be it even damaged wires, or a bad switch.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.