Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

There is s 60 series DD marine engine that the customer

Customer Question

There is s 60 series DD marine engine that the customer wants to control remotely. He needs to control the thottel from 1200 feet away via remote control (almost like a WYFI). what would be required to do this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 1 year ago.

Did I read that correctly as 1200 ft, like a 1/4 mile? I think you need Cat5 cable, but with thicker leads, for that, and most likely a booster to maintain voltage over the distance. I would start with the single lever control like a Micro Commander-

http://controlmastersinc.com/zf_microcommander.htm

The thing is you are still going to have to make up the booster yourself. I don't think anyone makes a system that is designed to work over 1200 ft. If you laid the Cat5 cable with #10 wire inside you might just prevent the voltage drop and be able to use the system as is. The system runs on 5v DC so you don't have a lot of voltage to start with, but if you are careful with what is given you might get away with it with just the cabel, otherwise you will have to put a 5v booster. A lot like a USB booster, but of a higher quality. If I were doing this I would start by providing a 5v source at the shift head, and lead that back to the control box at the engine. This way you only have 5v going one direction. Otherwise you have 5v from the control box, to the shift head, and back so a 1/2 mile of 5v drop and that would be double difficult.

Hope those ideas help You are on virgin territory for sure.

Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They want to control remotely and no cables as it the cable would get damaged immediately.
Expert:  Yachtwork replied 1 year ago.

I don't think you could remote by wifi. The distance is just too far, but you could set up a microwave dish. They are pretty much off the shelf and provide coms up to 12 miles in clear weather and 1/4 mile would be super simple. I don't think anyone does this software so you would have to set up the coding. Not super easy I'm sorry to say. Just to be sure you don't plan to dock a boat from across the bay or anything that could get out of control?

Hope that helps even though you are forging into new territory.

Scott