Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Mercury motor that will not start off the key and

Customer Question

I have a Mercury motor that will not start off the key and does not idle until hot
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also pulled this serial number off the motor. A100230 50 hp 4 cyl mercury 2 stroke
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Have you done any testing on your own yet? Does the engine make full power once it's warmed up? That means 5K+ rpms with the boat in the water and at full speed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I replaced the solenoid. New plugs and gas. I believe it does have full power , but not sure if it's 5k. I think just need some assistance with adjusting the carbs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any thoughts on why it will crank when u short the solonid out but not when u turn key? I am getting power back to the motor when key is on..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also is that the right serial number. I can't get that to pull up at all. Year and model would help.. I just bought the boat.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The serial number isn't correct. The 50 started with just numbers no letters.

Now do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests? We need to test for voltage on the yellow/red terminal # ***** of the start solenoid. With key in crank position not on but crank.

What is your voltage reading?