Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

Just changed my optimal oil, and now the engine won't start.

Customer Question

Just changed my optimal oil, and now the engine won't start. The lid is on tight. 09 with 150hp.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Would you please post the serial number of your engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know it. I'm stuck out in the bay after the add oil indicator was sounding. Added oil. Now no start.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, my trim won't go up or down, either from the wheel or on the motor.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a spare battery like a trolling motor battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My cranking battery is only 3 months old. And I've been starting and stopping all day without incident.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All my electronics are attached to the cranking battery, and no issues with those.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

First remove the engine hood. Looking down at the engine on the rear left side there is a fuse block under the plastic coverings. Remove the covers and then open the fuse block. See if there is a blown fuse. With the engine being dead, you have a fuse issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After removing the cowling, do I remove the black piece covering the top of the motor. I can't tilt the motor and thereally are sharks nearby.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Yes, remove the top flywheel cover,
it would be easier if you can also remove the side cover as well. You can run the engine with these off.

Wish I was there to catch some of those sharks. I miss doing that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing there. Got towed in. Is there a way to manually lift the trim so I can trailor?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Nothing as in no fuses?
On the right side of the trim unit, you will find a white flat tip slot, when looking thru one of the holes in the clamp bracket. Open this screw a few turns. When the engine drops slightly, you have it backed out far enough. Then grasp the lower unit and pick up on the engine. When you get it all the way up, operate the trim lock on the left side of the engine to hold the engine in that position.