Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

2011 sea doo GTI Limited 155 with 20 hours. Came upon

Customer Question

2011 sea doo GTI Limited 155 with 20 hours. Came upon shallow water while cruising at about 15 miles and hour and started scraping bottom. Turned around and indeed out to deeper water. When got clear accelerated. Would not accelerate and sounded like a
slipping clutch on a car. Will only idle speed or slightly more. Looked to see if anything foreign was in the cavity. Did not feel anything. Like to see if there is anything I can do prior to taking it in.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Check if revving full/high rpm when advancing the throttle like normal, if it does and the only problem is little to no speed then this "slipping" is due to air being pushed instead of water, given you hit bottom this is usually from sand/rocks going through the pump impeller and ruining the wear ring and or impeller as well. So again if it does rev high rpms but little to no speed then it is cavitating and check by making sure nothing blocking the water flow to the pump and then removing the seadoo from the water and inspecting the gap between the impeller and pump housing wall of the wear ring for a gap (there should not be much here, seeing light and or gouges is a good indication of a problem as is damage to the impeller).
See some examples here: https://www.google.com/search?q=seadoo+wear+ring+inspection&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAkQ_AUoA2oVChMI8Or1odeJxwIVCaweCh1iZgI6&biw=1920&bih=945#imgrc=_
Here is a diagram of your pump: http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/wps/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=seadoopwc&a=392&b=13&c=0&d=-PROPULSION-SYSTEM---EXTERNAL
I can provide direct email support as well as a complete service manual and live phone call to assist you as well.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.