Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

The fly wheel pin/key or timing pin/key, a small oval shaped

Customer Question

The fly wheel pin/key or timing pin/key, a small oval shaped piece of steel or pipe has broken on my 70 HP Johnson. To replace it do I just go to a marina and then insert it and screw the fly wheel nut down onto the top? Is there a torque required to tighten the fly wheel? Is there a better way to fix it?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The flywheel torque is very important as this many times is the reason the key will shear. Now did you hit something?

Is the crankshaft scored where the key sheared?

There is a procedure for cleaning up the crank and flywheel if the crank is scored.

Here is the link to the key p/n(###) ###-#### http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/brp/B-0307480.html