Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 02 115 ELPTO and with the engine running I have

Customer Question

i have a 02 115 ELPTO and with the engine running I have 12volts at battery, engine off and a solar charger on and connected to battery the battery shows 12v, I disconnect the charger and it puts out 17v. what could be the problem?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Do you have a battery switch someplace between the engine and batteries so that you can disconnect the batts for when charging?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The problem is going to be either a bad battery, with an internal short. Or a bad voltage regulator on the engine. When batteries have shorts in them it will cause the voltage regulator to go haywire, and output to much voltage.

The other part of this is you really should not leave a charged hooked up to the battery with the battery connected to the engine. The voltage regulators on the engines are very sensitive, and can't take the constant charging like say a car with a typical alternator can. So if it does end up being a bad voltage regulator, it was the charger that likely killed it. What you would want to do is either take your battery and have it load tested, or just run the engine off of another battery. If it makes no difference then the voltage regulator would be confirmed bad at this point.

To add to that, you can still use the charger is you want to, but you would want to install a battery switch so that you can flip it and disconnect the battery from the engine when you are not using it, and then hook up the solar charger. Lastly, never run the charger or any charger and the engine at the same time. The voltage regulators are very sensitive, if it is "forced" to compete with another charger it is going to loose every time.

Does that all make sense to you?

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason