Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My Jabsso electric Quiet flush 12 volt toilet has stopped

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Eaton,
My Jabsso electric Quiet flush 12 volt toilet has stopped working.
No sea water coming In and no water going to holding tank, when the switch is engaged nothing happens.
Also the holding tank Jabsco pump model 18590 series has stopped pumping the waste out to sea.It seems odd, that all the 3 pumps which works in connection with the toilet I have described have all stopped working at the same time.
All the filters are clean.
Any Ideas to resolve this would be most welcome.
Many thanks
Eaton.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Eaton. My name is Tan.

Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?

Have you looked for a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker? You have a voltage loss issue that is common to the pump and head. It is possible they are on the same circuit. We need to start with check for voltage at both the head and the pump. If neither have voltage we need to find where the voltage originates for both components. Either a fuse panel or a circuit breaker in the main panel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi tan,
I have been unable to find any fuse relating to the pumps I have disgribed, the main circuit breaker panel are all green and appears ok.
The volt tester I have is basic but gives me 12 volts reading to 250v ac/dc.
From what I can see there seems to be a small amount of power but not 12 volts, I have tested
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My tester on other 12 volt on my boat and get a 12v reading.
What do you suggest?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok the panel with the green light is the 110 AC voltage panel. Is there a side of the panel for 12 volt systems?

Do you have a fuse panel? When you connect your volt meter to the wires at the head or the mascerator pump do you have 12 volts?

There has to be fuse protection for both of these pumps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The panel with the green lights is 230v AC with the other side 12 volts which are domestic power, domestic, negative and two for the engines.
Yes there is a fuse panel, however in the boat manual it do not state the fuse for the pumps or where it should be which is unhelpful.
All the pumps in the second toilet work fine. What size amp fuse you think I should be looking for and where?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a photo.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

There has to be another panel as this boat has more than just the circuits listed in the pic. The fuse for those pumps will be somewhere around 10-15 amps.

All components in the boat are required by Coast Guard to be fuse protected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are more images of the fuse
Box, do you think there is another fuse box hidden somewhere?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

It's possible but without any labeling I have no idea on this boat. Does the manual give any indication of what each fuse is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prestige 42s is the label, the manual
Disgribes the fuse layout but no mention of the plumb fuse unfortunately.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

This is going to be something that a tech is going to have to chase down. Without any labeling or knowledge of this boat I can help any further. We have to find the voltage source to the head and the waste pump.

If I were there I could track the issue down but you have to follow the wiring to find the power source for both components. This is what is going to be the problem.

Have you checked for voltage at each component just to rule out the component as the failure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is getting late here now.
Tomorrow I will take the pump out and try it in my other toilet to see if it works and advise you accordingly.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok can you just check for voltage on the wires going to the pump? Do the same on the head. This would be allot easier than removing the pump. Thats allot of work to find out you just don't have voltage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There seems to be some form of power not sure it's 12 volts but it's the same on my working toilet.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

You should have somewhere around 12 volts. Do you have the same voltage when you turn the pump on or does the voltage go away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tam I am so worn out I have dropped my tester down a hole.
There is nothing more I can do tonight.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok just post back when you get time to test further. I work from 8am to 7 pm PST.

We can trey to find the problem.