Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 1988mercury outboard (Serial#OC124352) that the

Customer Question

I have a 1988mercury outboard (Serial#OC124352) that the trim /tilt will go up and down a couple of times, then it will stop working. At that point I will hear the solenoids clicking only. After about 5 minutes the tilt /trim will work again, then do the same thing. Is it the tilt /trim motor or the solenoids. Before I buy the parts to repair my problem I want to know what it is for sure. I replaced the tilt/trim motor 4 years ago and the both solenoids about 3 years ago. Could you tell me what the issue is. Thanks,Frank
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Clicking can be either low voltage to the solenoid, or bad solenoids. Do you have a meter and know hot to measure voltages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is Frank. I have no meter. The trim/tilt will work up and down then quit. That's when I hear the solenoid's clicking and no movement of the motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the battery today with a new one. That did not solve the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the rectifier?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Frank. Without a meter there is not anything we can test.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The problem again is low voltage to the solenoids or bad solenoids. Poor connections will cause low voltage. S owithout a meter what I would do is cut all of the end crimps off of the wires that connect to the relay, strip it back and attatch new crimps. And then reinstall and see what happens. If no change, replace the relays. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What it be easier to just replace the relays? I looked at all the connections and they are solid. Like I said the motor will go up and down,the quit. That's when I get no movement of the motor and the clicking begins. After 5 minutes it will work again then quit. Could it be the trim motor?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

That depends. Is the clicking louder than normal, or is it just the normal click?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I'm going to decline the call for now. We all do this on the side, out of our houses. It's a little past 10 for me and I was just helping a few folks here before going to bed. if you want to do it tomorrow I will be available to do it then.