Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1995 force outboard, which I removed 6 weeks

Customer Question

I have a 1995 force outboard, which I removed for about 6 weeks while I rebuilt the transom, a job I'm glad is over. Anyway when I put the motor back on I think the two control cables need adjusting as when I put the boat in the lake today it idled very fast, so I didn't take it out on the water. There is a plastic clip around both control arms about 8 to 10" back from the end of each arm and they move either way on the threaded part of the arm, and I think they got shifted from there position when I reconnected them. Can this be causing the fast idle?
Woodstock Ontario
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello Ron. My name is***** way you need to adjust the cable ends is to disconnect the end of the cable from the pin. Then put the linkage all the way back to idle. There is a idle stop on the linkage. Adjust the cable end till it slips onto the pin. On the linkage. Try that does that work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tan,Thank you for the suggestion, but the engine idle is still very fast! Any other ideas?Ron
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ron. Is the trigger all the way back also? Did the engine run ok before you removed the motor? What HP is your motor? If the carbs are dirty it will cause a lean fuel condition making the engine idle high. So the only things that will make the engine idle fast is a lean fuel condition, carburetor throttle plates open or advanced timing. If the engine has been sitting for an extended period of time and the throttle [plates are closed and the timing isn't advanced the carbs are the problem. Post back with questions and findings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tan,I'm not sure what the trigger is that you refer to!
The engine did run fine before we removed it, however, that was last summer.
The motor is a 70 hp!You don't have to call me if you wish to continue talking this way.
I have to go for dinner now anyway. I will check back in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.Ron
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
# ***** in this diagram is the trigger. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Force/70%20H.P.%20%281991-1995%29/0E000001%20THRU%200E138599/IGNITION%20COMPONENTS/parts.html It connects to the throttle linkage # ***** If the throttle is all the way against the stop screw # ***** touching the block then the timing and throttle plates will be in the correct position. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Force/70%20H.P.%20%281991-1995%29/0E000001%20THRU%200E138599/TOWERSHAFT%20ASSEMBLY/parts.htmlYour fast idle is going to be clogged carburetor. This will cause a lean fuel condition and high rpms. Remove carb disassemble, clean and replace gaskets # *****://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Force/70%20H.P.%20%281991-1995%29/0E000001%20THRU%200E138599/CARBURETOR/parts.html This will solve your issue.Post back if you have questions.Thank you.......Tan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tan,Thank you for all the info! I've printed off the 3 pages of exploded views! I will take some time to review and see what needs to be done, as per your instructions. The last time I disassembled a carberator, was on my 67 mustang, about 43 years ago. I was 22 back then! I new nothing about carbs then, but I managed to rebuild the one on my car and it worked fine. We are leaving Monday morning for a week with the boat, so I've only got the rest of the weekend to get it going. I will let you know how it turns out, if I can still access you this way.Thanks again,
Ron Poole
519 -(###) ###-####
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok Ron. This carburetor is allot easier than your Mustang carb. Yes you can post back at anytime even after you have rated. I will be available for any questions. Thank you.......Tan