Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 222cobalt which had a 350 magnum in it it needed

Customer Question

I have a 222cobalt which had a 350 magnum in it it needed replacing so ordered a complete new engine from merc it now does not perform like original it does about 40 now where it use to over 50mph it does not perform like a350 magnum why and is there a way to check the horsepower like with a dynometer
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? Yes there are marine dyno's that hook up the to propeller shaft. What kind of rpms does the engine hit at full throttle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 4400rpm
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Thats a few rpms shy of where it should be. Has all of the basics been checked on the engine? This would include checking compression, triple checking the firing order, checking timing and spark advance. And lastly checking fuel pressure with the boat at top speed?