Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2005 gxi-e 4.3 that has run fine years,

Customer Question

I have a 2005 gxi-e 4.3 that has run fine for several years, 2 weeks ago while cruising at 3800 rpm the engine shut down, it has fire to the plugs, no water in the fuel filter, the fuel pumps run for several seconds when the key is turned on and sound as if they are building up pressure. it turns over fine and has compression. but will not start not even a pop! Help
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Have you checked compression or fuel pressure yet? Or any starting fluid?
What kind of help are you looking for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason , Eddie here the engine has compression, clean fuel with no water in the water separator on the fuel pump, fire to the plugs turns over as it always has. wont start or even a pop
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eddie. What did you get for compression numbers? Did you measure fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done neither as I lack the gauges
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine was running normally and just like i shut off the ignition switch it shut down, no unusual noises.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
These are sophisticated high output engines, and they require a multitude of tools to work on them. How is it I can be of help to you? What kinds of questions do you have for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suppose without the tools on my part we are shooting in the dark thanks anyway
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
No problem. good luck
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have more info the local marine repair shop did a fuel pressure test, OK per him . Compression good per him . has fire to plugs, used starting fluid and not even a pop! he says might be distributor cap? any suggestions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a spark timing issue caused by?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how spark was checked, as there are right ways and wrong ways to check it. Was a timing light used to check spark?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
visual arcing to ground
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
That won't cut it. A weak ignition coil would still cause that. The best way to check for spark on these is to simply hook up a timing light to any of the plug wires. Crank the engine over. And see if the light flashes or not. Flash means good spark. No flash means no spark.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The motor will not start so no on timing light
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my previous reply? We posted at the same time but mine posted first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i replied to the timing light question
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
What im saying is spark needs to be checked by hooking up a timing light to the engine and cranking it over, and seeing if it flashes or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see ur point. I will try the timing light, thank u
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason I used a timing light and it flashes, what do you suggest I try next?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
A compression test would be next on the list.