Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1995 25 hp M25C2 outboard motor on a 16 ft pontoon

Customer Question

I have a 1995 25 hp M25C2 outboard motor on a 16 ft pontoon boat. I started having some issues a few weeks back when I slightly moved the fuel line while the engine was running at full throttle. The engine cut out but would instantly restart and operate at a lower speed. Engine continues to cut out when I try to run at full throttle. I have added new fuel. Fuel line is gray(suspect) but engine appears to be getting some fuel but cuts out (sputters) at high speed. Change out fuel line with new black hose? fuel filter? possible water in line?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?
Is there a fuel/water separating filter mounted to the boat someplace between the engine and tank?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a clear fuel filter plastic canister located to rear of carburator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
leon
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Leon. Is there any debris in that filter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant really tell. do you think it would be worthwhile to add "heet" red container to fuel
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Heet won't do anything. What you want to do is go and run the boat and try pumping the fuel bulb over and over. 1. If the bulb sucks flat or will not reinflate, there is a vacuum buildup in the tank, or some kind of blockage. 2. If the engine runs better as you pump it the fuel pump is weak. 3. If no change, the problem is going to be debris in the carburetor, clogging up the fuel jets. Does that all make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes; should I arbitrarily try to drain the carburetor and/or empty fuel filter
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Yes you would. On the carb draining it won't clean it. But if you see bits of debris come out that would only confirm a clogged clarb. What you would do is hold a clean napkin under it and drain the fuel into the napkin, and then see if there are any specs in it. Did you have any further questions on the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a chance that by running engine at lower speed repetively that clogged carb will unclog
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately no. If it is clogged the carb has to come off and get completely dissassembled, and cleaned by hand. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the start and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason