Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My new Suzuki DF30A (40hours) is running few minutes

Customer Question

My new Suzuki DF30A (40hours) is running for a few minutes then loses power
I have serviced it new plugs oil and fuel filters . I am in the bush in Africa and contaminated fuel may have gotten into the system.
It does not appear that the high pressure fuel pump is operating at capacity.
How can I check this / clear / clean it.
Regards
Vaughan
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Vaughan, my name is***** see if it is a fuel issue you would hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the engine and see if it maintains pressure when it stalls, or see if fuel pressure drops just before the engine stalls. Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jason I don't have a fuel pressure gauge I am 300 Kms from civilization - I need to know how to check the pump.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I just explained how to do it. If you can't do that then there is nothing I can do for you here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know how to strip the pump and what to look for I am told there is a filter in it - is that true I don't need a flippant answer
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Good luck with your issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have been no help what so ever - this services is a con
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.
There is a small plastic filter on the engine, it has a rubber plug over the bottom fitting. Remove the plug and drain into a container. If the fuel is clear then chances are you are OK as far as contamination.The low pressure pump is a diaphram pump. It operated off a plunger on the cam. It is easily taken off the engine. Take off the two hoses. Put your fingers over the fittings while pushing in and out on the plunger. You should feel a little pressure and suction on the two fittings. If so the pump is probably OK.To see if the high pressure pump is operating put a long screwdriver on the pump and the handle side to your ear. Crank the engine and see if you can hear the pump operate.You can pull the hose off the bottom of the vapor separator to see if there is any contaminates.Without a pressure gauge you can't make an accurate assessment of the high pressure pump however you can disconnect the fuel line to the fuel rail, crank the engine and see if you get a good fuel flow.Hope this helps. Post back with your results and we can go from there.