Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 95 yamaha wave raider, while riding, the rpms lowered

Customer Question

I have a 95 yamaha wave raider, while riding, the rpms lowered and won't rev, also noticed the display went blank, still starts and runs, but no display
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.Just so I understand you, you lost RPM's and your display at the same time? Now, your display still does not function and the engine will not rev up? Or, does it rev normally for a little while then go back into reduced RPM's mode?ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Revs fine on trailer but haven't put it in the water, display is blank
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the clarification.We need to know what the ski does in the water. Although it is possible the loss of display has something to do with the loss of RPM's, it's not a guarantee. Are you able to drop it in the water to see what it does? The big question in my mind right now is the possibility it went into overheat mode to reduce the RPM's and something else affected the display. If it runs ok for a little while then loses RPM's again then it is going into overheat mode.If you have a volt meter, check for a minimum of 7 DCV on the green wire going to the display.Let me know what you find and we can move forward from there.ThanksRSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't try to rev all the way up, obviously , but sounds chrisp , didn't run long
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Understood. We need to give it a good test in a body of water. Right now we don't know if it still has the reduced RPM problem or not. That is what we need to find out.RSRBOB