Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a older mercury 3 cyl outboard idles fine but when advancing

Customer Question

I have a older mercury 3 cyl outboard idles fine but when advancing up throttle engines boos down back of it it returns to idle smooth if I feather it up back and forth a little it will get up to wide open and run there for ever any ideas
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you today. Would you lease post the serial number of the engine?Has it been sitting for some time?How old is the fuel?When was the last time that it ran correctly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fresh fuel tuned up in spring Im not close to the boat to give you a serial #
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
What HP is the engine?Has it run since the spring?Did they do a compression test back then? If so do you know the numbers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
70 hp yes its running idles great it's just when you go to to give it full throttle it loses power and wants to die if I pull back on throttle to idle it's great if I bring it up slowly and feather the throttle and then push it all the way to wide open it takes off full throttle yes compression test was done all 3 cyl had good #s
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.
I am showing the last year for the 70 was 83.Do you have a good quality digital multimeter to do some testing?