Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My 2003 seadoo gti powerered down then stalled. It wouldn't

Customer Question

my 2003 seadoo gti powerered down then stalled. It wouldn't start again. There was some smoke in the engine compartment and the battery seems to be dead.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question.I am going to follow your lead on the battery issue. My suggestion would be to put a multi meter or battery voltage tester on the battery and see what it has for voltage. It should show over 12 volts. If it doesn't, you are going to have to charge it and see if it comes back, or replace it. Sometimes, automotive parts stores can test a battery for you. If you need to go that route, make sure you charge it before you take it in or all they can tell you is it needs to be recharged before they can test it.My next question for you is about the smoke you saw in the engine compartment. Did it smell like electrical smoke, exhaust smoke or smoke from the engine overheating?Let me know where you are at on those points and we can move forward from there.Thanks,RSRBOB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My first impression was that the engine had over heated, but now that you mention it, exhaust smoke is possible. I'm charging the battery now and will try later. Would a dead battery cause me to lose power?
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.
A dead battery by itself will not. The question in my mind is if the battery is dead, did something happen that killed it, which is possible. So, it isn't the suspected root cause of the engine quitting, but more like another casualty of what caused the engine to quit. Just thinking right now, we have some more checking to do before we cross that bridge.RSRBOB